Monday, December 12, 2005

How Do French People...

Tim over at Challies shares a story concerning his son coming into some knowledge via a boy at school.

He asks, "what are parents allowing their children to watch these days?" This sadly is something I have found myself wondering, especially lately. I know a pair of children who are both 8 or under and seem to know much more about sex and swearing than I remember knowing at their ages. I recently got a sneak peek at the things they are allowed to watch, and quite frankly I was horrified. As if the swearing wasn't enough the film was filled with sexual references, a husband fantasizing about another woman in graphic detail, and other things as well. I couldn't believe this was something they were allowed to watch.

My mother never would have allowed me to watch things like that, especially at their ages. Heck, I don't think I was allowed to watch anything PG-13 or over until fourth or fifth grade (and even then it was very case by case, my mom had to preapprove the movie), and PG-13 what a lot different ten years ago. Yet these children are watching things that easily reach an R rating and the parents think nothing of it. And then they wonder where their youngest daughter is picking up the language she has. It just blows my mind. Anyway, there's my rant. It's pretty bad when a 5-6 year old can watch something that makes me blush.

No comments: