Monday, December 19, 2005

Book Review: Who Calls Me Beautiful?

So, it seems to be the hip thing to do, and you all know what a sucker I am to appear cool, so I shall be doing book reviews here and there. I don't have a HUGE amount of time on my hands to sit and read without neglecting some other part of my life, so I am shooting for one book review a month.

And since I'm a girl I thought it'd be fun to do a review on Who Calls Me Beautiful by Regina Franklin.

I first heard Regina speak on Crosstalk, and I thought she had some interesting things to say so I treated myself to the book. You have to love when you can get a book on Amazon and have it shipped to you without spending more than $7.50! That alone made my day.

Anyway, I thought it was well written. Some of the things she says gets a bit redundant, but not annoyingly so. I like her perspective, we can become so focused on beauty and feeling beautiful and trying to achieve what the world thinks is beautiful that we lose our focus on God. She rightly notes that many women seem to say "Thank you Jesus for dying for me, now leave me alone for an hour so I can go read Cosmo and shop at the local Victoria's Secret shop." She observes we all have baggage from different things in our lives, and quite often we don't release that baggage to God. We can dwell in our self centered, self deprecating thoughts and truly ignore that when we come to God we are new creatures, we are to transform our minds by the power of the Holy Spirit yet we ignore the fact that we should be applying that to every aspect of our thought process...Including things pertaining to beauty.

The book was well thought out, she shares her heart in this so it touches you, and even includes some questions for a group study. I haven't read many books on the subject, so I can't tell you if this is better or worse than other books, but if you struggle with the concept of beauty and understanding who you are as a woman in Christ you might benefit from this book.

No comments: