Tuesday, February 07, 2006

For the Lord Sustained Me

I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.
I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the LORD sustained me. (Psalm 3:4-5)


Each day we have, every breath, every heart beat is a gift from God. He sustains us. If it is His will for us to awaken we will do so. If it is His will for us to die, so shall we do this. In Matthew Jesus tells us not to make oaths but to simply let our yes be yes and our no be no.

Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. (Matthew 5:36)

Christ knows that we have no power in and of ourselves, we cannot even change our hair color, therefore why do we think we can ignore that it is God who gives and takes away our lives. Why do we give guarantees to people, when we don't have the power to fulfill them without God's grace. I think that may be one reason why Paul often in his letters to various churches would say he was planning, if the Lord permits, to come to them. If it isn't in God's will for him to go, then they should be comforted in knowing that God's will above Paul's is being done.

So, knowing that it is God who gives us the day, why do we seem to become so complacent towards our lives being completely subject to God's will? We often get so wrapped up in our day to day lives, in our schedules, that the fact that our hearts are still beating is a God given miracle. The fact that I'm writing this right now is a gift of God. He easily could have called me home in my sleep - or at any other point during my life - but it is His will that I should be here. He has chosen to give me this time. He has given me this day. My life is not my own, but His to use as He pleases. My life is His to use to His glory. How great a gift, to be used by God!

I used to set off to do my own plans without consulting God (sadly, I must admit I continue to do this more than I like) only to become depressed and discouraged that they fell flat. When my best laid plans died I would get frustrated. But really, should I? Obviously those plans were not God's will or they would have succeeded. So, if I say I love God and desire His will above my own, shouldn't I rejoice that they fell flat?

Indeed, I believe I should. Because I long for nothing more than God to use me as He sees fit. Because, whatever the outcome of any given situation, Christ will be glorified. And I thank God for that.

No comments: