Saturday, November 26, 2005

Trust

As some of you may have noticed, I do a lot of bouncing around the Bible, and it seems a common theme for this blog has been trust. Well, once again the topic came up with me. Faced with a problem that caused me quite a bit of heart ache, I had to choose to follow God's will (also a very common theme in this blog) and trust that what He has told me will be carried out in His time. This can be a difficult thing, especially if you don't take time for God and learn about Him and dialog with Him.

After all, as I have asked time and time again, how can one trust someone they don't know? I really don't think you can truly trust someone without knowing them. When the difficult moments come it is easy to panic, and if we have no basis in God's word then how are we supposed to remember the promises He has laid out in Scripture? And if we don't know those promises how are we to find the peace and rest afforded to us by Christ Himself? So, once again, I want to dig into the subject of trust.

I found this at cyberhymnal, it is entitled Trust.

All that our Savior hath spoken
Came from the heart of God;
Surely it cannot be broken,
Sealed with His precious blood.

Tempests may rage and thunder,
Mountains be rent asunder,
Nations may fear and wonder—
Trust, and be undismayed.

As unto Abram was given
God’s cov’nant word of peace,
“Counting the stars” of the even—
So shall thy faith increase.

Trust when the light warm and tender
Seemeth to Thee withdrawn;
Wait a few hours, and in splendor
Morning again will dawn!

Trust! tho’ all others forsake thee,
Yet there remains one Friend;
Mercy and truth shall o’ertake thee
Down to thy journey’s end.

Trust under every condition
Till thou shalt reach thy home;
Trust, till in perfect fruition
That which is real hath come.

I have one other hymn I'd like to share with you, here is Take Time to Be Holy.

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God’s children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.

Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
Each thought and each motive beneath His control.

Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.


I'd also like to share a few verses with you concerning the topic of trust.

Psalm 4

1 Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.

2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah.

3 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

5 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

6 There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? LORD, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.

7 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.

8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.


Isaiah 26:3-5

3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

5 For he bringeth down them that dwell on high; the lofty city, he layeth it low; he layeth it low, even to the ground; he bringeth it even to the dust.

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Romans 4:16-30

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.

19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:

20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.


23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;

24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Psalm 62:1-2, 5-8
1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.

2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.
...
5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.

7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us.

No comments: