Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Trinity

I rely on the Holy Spirit, which is Jesus which is also God.
- a person on a message board I visit

I asked the person who said this to clarify, hoping that perhaps they just worded this badly. Upon clarification I realized he did in fact mean this. But is it Biblical, is this what the Bible teaches concerning the Godhead, that the Holy Spirit is Jesus who is, in fact, the Father?

Throughout the New Testament Jesus defers to the Father, He says the Father sent Him, that He returns to the Father, that He only does the will of the Father, even from the cross Jesus cries out to the Father asking Him why He has forsaken Him. If Jesus is the Father, how could He leave Himself? Obviously Jesus is speaking to someone other than Himself.

Needless to say, Jesus is not the Father. But is it possible that Jesus is the Holy Spirit? I think you know what my answer is, but I'd like to show you why.

Jesus is not the Holy Spirit, speaking to the disciples about His upcoming departure Jesus tells them, "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever" (John 14:16)

If Jesus is the Holy Spirit (the Comforter) why would He insist that He is going to the Father, that they cannot come with them with Him, but that He will send another to be with them. He says another, this specifically shows that it is not Him.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (John 16:7)

John the Baptist says this of Christ and the Spirit:

And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. (John 1:33)

If Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one, how can Jesus descend upon Himself? I think it is clear, Jesus is not the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is not Jesus, and Jesus is not that Father. But they all are God. Three distinct beings, one God. Is it a difficult thing to grasp? Absolutely, but we must not try to rationalize it by saying they are all the same person. Just as a husband and wife come together and are one while maintaining their individual identities, the Three are all God but they are individual as well.

No comments: