Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Suffering For His Name's Sake

I've been discussing Abdur Rahman, the Christian from Afghanistan who has been making international news, on Frenzyboard. The discussion began with people being horrified at the situation, moved on to discussing Christianity and Islam, and then a general rejoicing at the announcement of his release. Then a comment was made about how the mobs will kill him (this is after all a strong possibility) if he doesn't seek asylum in another country.

Don't you guys think he's in God's hands, and that God has not forgotten him, inside our outside the courthouse and inside our outside society?


That is true, but it doesn't mean he won't be killed. If God wants him home, it will play out that way. And if God doesn't allow it, it won't happen. Just because someone meets their death doesn't mean God has taken His hand off the situation. If Christ can be killed for our sins, if countless saints throughout the past 2000 years can be killed for their faith, what makes us think that God isn't with them that suffer today?

What makes us think any of us can escape God's plan for our lives? It reminds me of that kiddie song..."He´s got the whole world in His hands," if that is true, if we really believe that, why do we act as if death is out of His control? If God didn't spare His Son, why should we be spared? We're called to follow Christ, even unto death.

According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.

For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labor: yet what I shall choose I wot not.

For I am in a strait between two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;

That your rejoicing may be more abundant in Jesus Christ for me by my coming to you again.

Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;


Having the same conflict which ye saw in me, and now hear to be in me. (Phillipians 1:20-30, emphasis mine)


Paul says that Christ will be glorified in our lives, and even in our deaths, so long as we be faithful to Him. "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake," I realize suffering isn't the most enjoyable thing that can happen to a person. But as Christ suffered for us, we are to follow Him. Christ Himself said that the world would hate those who follow Him, that His followers would be delivered up to counsels and synagogues by our own families (Matthew 10:21), so is it any wonder these things are true? And does it mean God has abandoned us? Hardly. Even in our suffering, even in our deaths, we are given the opportunity to bring glory and honor to our Father. And we must remember:

For I am in a strait between two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: (Philippians 1:23, emphasis mine)

To be called home, to die, if one follows Christ, is to be with Christ. Heaven or Earth? The world or Christ? Choices, choices, choices...To be with Christ is far better.

No comments: