Tuesday, June 13, 2006

On Psalm 124

A Song of degrees of David.
If it had not been the LORD who was on our side, now may Israel say;
If it had not been the LORD who was on our side, when men rose up against us:
Then they had swallowed us up quick
, when their wrath was kindled against us:
Then the waters had overwhelmed us, the stream had gone over our soul:
Then the proud waters had gone over our soul.
Blessed be the LORD, who hath not given us as a prey to their teeth.
Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped.
Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 124:1-8, emphasis mine)


Simply beautiful. If it had not been the Lord who was on our side we would be consumed, truly how could we stand if not for the Lord? I have seen this truth displayed so well in my own life. There have been things that I'm sure I would have never been able to manage if God hadn't been there leading me through. Things I'm sure could have broken me, made me endlessly bitter, even some things could have killed me if God had not been there. But He was there, and continues to be there. And when the trials come He lifts me back up off my knees and leads me through. I rejoice in knowing He has gone before me, all I have to do is walk the path He has laid out...And I don't even have to do that in my strength, but in His.

No comments: