Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Joyfully Walking in the Light

A friend of mine recently asked me for a few verses that deal with the hope we, as Christians, have in a world of darkness and a time of darkness. I smiled and gave her three verses that fill me with an endless hope. Sometimes it is easy to look around at the world and see everything that is going on and get discouraged, even in Christ this happens. Unlike the world we have a promise of everlasting life, of an abundant life (though this doesn't necessarily mean what it seems to), and a future awaiting us in which we will joyfully worship the Lord for eternity.

And so, having now this promise we must press onward joyfully doing His Will. When we came to Him, when we accepted His sacrifice for our salvation we received not only a promise of heaven, not only have we been brought into a family,not only have our sins been washed clean - our wrong doings are no longer counted against us - but we also have the distinct honor and privilege of doing His Work that He has set before us. We have the honor of being able to display (in part) the greatness of His Son's glory by laying down our old lives and following Him. What a joyful work He has given us, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). How joyful is that work, especially when we understand that He has gone before us, and as long as we walk the path He has laid before us we will not walk in darkness, we will not be alone, and our victory was purchased at Calvary so we have nothing left to fear.


The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalms 27:1)

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. (John 8:12)

No comments: