Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Blogs for Music

I recently had the opportunity to review a new cd of praise music, entitled Awesome God, for kids (roughly ages 6 or 7 and up) that was put out by Sovereign Grace Ministries.

Ok, so you know how when you're sitting in church and the kid's choir gets up to perform (usually around Christmas and Easter especially) and you go deaf for a few minutes? This album won't do that to you. The kids can actually sing, I was impressed. (Please don't misunderstand me, I think it's adorable when kids sing at church, I'm just saying they're usually tone deaf.)

The album is produced very well, it's high quality stuff you're listening to. As for the songs themselves, I didn't recognize any of them, but the words are clear so you can catch on and start singing along very easily. The lyrics were clearly Christian praise music and very well written and pretty strong doctrinally, but the music leaned towards kind of a blues-y/ rock feel. Honestly if you want the truth the guitar solo on the second track reminded me of Lynard Skynard, don't ask me why it just did. Now, if you're into rock you'll probably enjoy the first three tracks a lot.

After the first three tracks things lighten up quite a bit musically featuring mostly acoustic guitars and some piano for a few tracks, the fourth track features a girl who is older, perhaps a teen, with a lovely voice. Very pretty song, Who Is Like You?

Overall I think the album was very well done, the change up between the rock to the softer music and back again was a little more difficult to transition comfortably, but the second set of the rockish music still wasn't as hard as the first three tracks. As for children liking this? My daughter loved it, and it even caught my son's ear a bit and he's pretty picky musically.

No comments: