Friday, September 30, 2005

Your Heart Knows

I received a press release today from a publisher who has an author for me to interview. The release said:

Oprah talks frequently about the "inner voice".

While well and good, most people don't know HOW to connect with their inner voice because of outside influences that bombard them everyday...all from others telling us what is important. For example, magazines sending the message that we need to look a certain way or parents telling us we need to have a certain career to be successful.

A new book helps people to uncover their inner voice. "Your Heart Knows the Answer: How to Trust Yourself & Make the Choices That Are Right For You" is the ONLY BOOK that teaches the language of the heart, enabling people to trust themselves, make the right choices and become the best person they know they can be.


It's times like this that the utter difference between the world's perspective and the Christian's perspective can be seen. The immediate contradiction to this author's assertion of the heart's trustworthy nature is this verse from Jeremiah 17:9.

"The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Who can know it?" Jeremiah 17:9

My "heart" told me to do some things as a rebellious young adult that nearly destroyed my life, but for God's grace. I was completely attuned to the "inner voice" that told me my way was the best way. My heart was lying to me. As unregenerate people, the only guide we have is our own lying, deceitful and wicked heart. That was the heart that allowed Eve to turn from God's clear instructions in the Garden of Eden and follow her heart. A curse upon the whole human race was the result. Thankfully, Jesus Christ came to end that curse for those who believe. Our lying heart is replaced with a new one and the voice we listen to is that of the Holy Spirit through His Word. I felt pity today for the masses who will listen to this well-meaning author. But our guide should never be our own heart. The voice of our shepherd is the only voice we can trust.

Here's a look at the author's website.
Slice of Laodicea - Your Heart Knows (Italics in original)

No comments: