Monday, September 26, 2005

I don't want to be remembered as a nice [girl]

My life will be a failure if at my funeral people only remember how nice I was. I'm guessing that when the disciples gathered after Jesus' death they did not sit and recount all the nice things He did. And when the early church remembered Paul, I doubt they remembered the times he had said nice things and played with their children. Of course there is nothing wrong with being nice. But that is not how I want to be remembered. Nor do I want to be remembered primarily as a good husband or good father. Mike was a nice guy. He was friendly, usually happy and was generally willing to help others. He was a good husband and a good father. But conspicuously absent from memories of Mike was any mention of his love for God. If my life does not display a deep, abiding love for God, a love so integral to my life that all who know me can't help but notice it, I'll consider my life a great failure. I don't want to be remembered as a nice guy. I want to be remembered as a godly guy.
Source

No comments: